Dr. Heckman received his Ph.D. in Public Policy and Management and M.P.A. from The Glenn School of Public Affairs at The Ohio State University; and he earned a B.A. in History and Secondary Education from Capital University in Columbus, Ohio.
He has extensive practitioner experience having served a four-year term as a non-partisan elected school board member in the 10th-largest school district in Ohio and he has worked as a manager and performance auditor for the Ohio Auditor of State and as a non-partisan budget and policy analyst for the Ohio Legislature.
Dr. Heckman previously was an assistant professor at Ohio State and was an instructor for six years in the Political Science Department at Capital University.
See my complete vita Alex Heckman – Last Updated April 2013
Selected Professional and Academic Presentations:
- Ethical GPS: The Foundational Competency of Exceptional Leaders, Presentation for Leadership Dublin Program, February 11, 2014
- Ethical GPS: The Foundational Competency of Exceptional Government Leaders, Presentation for Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services’ Emerging Leaders Program, November 4, 2013
- A Master(s) Plan for You: Competencies and Degrees for Advancing Your Career and Improving Your Community, Presentation for Indiana Park and Recreation Association Leadership Retreat, September 18, 2013
- How Can We Improve Government Performance: Implementation Context and Key Factors Affecting Performance Outcomes, Poster for the Franklin University Scholarship Forum, September 2013
- So, We’re An Economic Force…Now, How Do I Get Others to Pay Attention? Presentation for Ohio Association of Nonprofit Organizations & The Ohio Attorney General’s Joint Nonprofit Conference, October 2011
- Meeting the Needs of Professionals Who Administer Government for the People: Using Practitioner Feedback to Develop Relevant Professional Curriculum, Presentation for the 34th Annual Teaching Public Administration Conference May 2011 (co-presented with Redd Branner, Lewis Chongwony, and Leslie King)
- States Buying Smarter: Policy and Practice in Minnesota, Presentation for National Association of State Procurement Officials Annual Conference, August 2010
Selected Professional and Academic Publications:
The Search for Better Government Performance: Understanding the Impact of Management Quality and Resources on Transportation Infrastructure Outcomes in the American States, Published in Public Management Review, 2013
Desperately Seeking Management: Understanding Management Quality and Its Impact on Government Performance Outcomes under the Clean Air Act, Published in the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 2012