Dr. Heckman received his Ph.D. in Public Policy and Management and M.P.A. from The Glenn School of Public Affairs at The Ohio State University; and he earned a B.A. in History and Secondary Education from Capital University in Columbus, Ohio.
He has extensive practitioner experience having served a four-year term as a non-partisan elected school board member in the 10th-largest school district in Ohio and he has worked as a manager and performance auditor for the Ohio Auditor of State and as a non-partisan budget and policy analyst for the Ohio Legislature.
Dr. Heckman previously was an assistant professor at Ohio State and was an instructor for six years in the Political Science Department at Capital University.
See my complete vita Alex Heckman Vita – Last Updated February 2014
Selected Professional and Academic Presentations:
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting… to Go Online - Teaching Public Administration Conference, June 10, 2014
- Ethical Leadership: Creating an Ethical Organization – Franklin University Webinar, May 16, 2014
- What Went Wrong with Healthcare.gov: A Non-Political Management Perspective – Franklin University Webinar, April 29, 2014
- Ethical GPS: The Foundational Competency of Exceptional Leaders - Presentation for Leadership Dublin, February 11, 2014
- Ethical GPS: The Foundational Competency of Exceptional Government Leaders – Presentation for the Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services Emerging Leaders Program, November 4, 2013
- A Master(s) Plan for You: Competencies and Degrees for Advancing Your Career and Improving Your Community -Presentation for the Indiana Park and Recreation Association Leadership Retreat, September 18, 2013
- How Can We Improve Government Performance: Implementation Context and Key Factors Affecting Performance Outcomes - Poster Presentation for Franklin University Scholarship Forum, September 25, 2013
- So, We’re An Economic Force…Now, How Do I Get Others to Pay Attention? - Presentation for Ohio Association of Nonprofit Organizations & the Ohio Attorney General’s Joint Nonprofit Conference (with Toby Rittner of the Council of Development Finance Agencies), October 26, 2011
- Meeting the Needs of Professionals Who Administer Government for the People: Using Practitioner Feedback to Develop Relevant Professional Curriculum – Presentation for the 34th Annual Teaching Public Administration Conference (co-presented with Redd Branner, Lewis Chongwony, and Leslie King) - May 17, 2011
- States Buying Smarter: Policy and Practice in Minnesota – Presentation for National Association of State Procurement Officials Annual Conference, August 2010
Selected Professional and Academic Publications:
- The Search for Better Government Performance: Understanding the Impact of Management Quality and Resources on Transportation Infrastructure Outcomes in the American States, Published in Public Management Review, 2013
- Desperately Seeking Management: Understanding Management Quality and Its Impact on Government Performance Outcomes under the Clean Air Act, Published in the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 2012
- States Buying Smarter: Lessons in Purchasing and Contracting from Minnesota and Virginia, co-authored with Trevor L. Brown and Sergio Fernandez for the Pew Center on the States, 2010
- Summit County Community Based Correctional Facility Performance Audit, Ohio Auditor of State, November 2003
- Franklin County Veterans Service Commission Performance Audit, Ohio Auditor of State, June 2003
- Local Transportation Needs and Funding Report, Ohio Legislative Budget Office, September 2000